JMK Engineering encourages life long self learning and to help with that we developed the JMK Academy with learning content targeted at technical professionals in the electrical design industries.
This learning material includes:
- Detailed tutorials that develop the common skills needed to develop robust electrical designs that meet the project needs.
- Technical reports on topics ranging from developing an electrical safety program to outlining how to complete a successful hydro electric control system upgrade.
- Continuing Education Courses to help entry level professionals gain the knowledge they need quickly.
- Professional Development Courses designed to assist with continuing professional development of senior engineers.
The publishing schedule for these content types vary, however we aim to meet the following minimums:
New Skills Tutorial every month
Along with webinars, tutorials are typically produced monthly. These include a certificate for 1PDH if the student completes the 5 part quiz on the topic successfully.
These tutorials form the backbone of the entry and professional level courses.
A new Continuing Education course every 6 months
Courses are a much larger commitment and take time to develop properly. They will range from 10 hours of video content (with a lot of self work) to 40hrs depending on the topic.
A certificate of completion is provided when the student successfully completes all the module quizzes.
A new Professional Development course every year
Professional courses are less in demand and will typically cover at least 20-24hrs of lesson time. This replaces a three day in-person professional development course.
We aim to release a new course every calendar year, with the topic being decided in June of the previous year.
Lots of free content and writing
While we are developing all this great content we also produce and release a weekly newsletter.
Most of our live webinar recordings are published publicly 12 months after we record the live one. They are of course available immediately for paid members in the Member Portal.
We also write on the blog with quick simple how-to’s and information content, saving you lots of time trying to figure out how to connect to equipment or troubleshoot simple problems.
To make sure that everyone is on the same page, I’ve created a JMK Academy Roadmap page. Here you can find out the various courses and tutorials that we are working.
Accessing JMK Academy Courses and Tutorials
There are a couple of ways that you can access this material.
We have two membership levels, one gives you just discounts and the other is the skills only.
A la carte
Alternatively you can puchase the courses, webinars, tutorials, etc as you need them.
Skills Based Tutorials
Continuing Education Courses
Professional Development Courses
There are even more reports, templates, etc in the shop.
Of course we have the free blog articles.
Some Article Categories
- Background Information
- Electrical Safety
- Home Microgrid
- Member Benefits
- Smart Grid
Some recent articles
- What is the Point of Common CouplingI have been working with a couple regulated utilities over the last few years. Neither of these utilities have a lot of small independent power producers (IPPs). There may be a couple of edge cases, or medium sized wind farms, but as a rule they generate all the energy they need. The grid is getting […]
- We live in a digital age, but that’s for computers – Newsletter
- Design is not just circuits – Newsletter
- Missing Lunch and LearnsOne of the things that I miss since starting my own company are the lunch and learns. When I was at H2E Inc. we would have a lunch and learn every month or so that would cover a specific topic from the National Electrical Code, or describing how different transducers work, etc. These lunch and […]
- Voltage Levels and TermsThe purpose of this post is to define the terms that I use elsewhere on this site, including documents, articles, tutorials, etc. If you ask most electrical engineers what’s low voltage, or high voltage you are not likely to get a straight answer. There are a lot of good reasons for this, Colin over at […]
- Maybe Webinars are Dumb – Newsletter
- Password Override Jumper on RTAC 3505Have you ever arrived at a site and there is no password for the device? You have to log on the PLC or RTU but the owner doesn’t know the password and it isn’t written down anywhere? Or maybe you have a bench unit that you forgot the password for. That’s what happened to me […]
- Don’t forget the backups – Newsletter
- Time of Day Calculations with VTScadaSomeday I hope that it will be standard for utilities to provide a API that customers can use to calculate the current rates for energy, etc. Today however, we have to do it by hand. My last post was a straightforward energy rate with a base charge, but I have a time of day rate […]
- Calculations in VTScadaYou already know I like VTScada as my HMI/SCADA application of choice, and being able to add functions and calculation to tags is another reason I like it. And did you know they have a FREE (as in beer) version that you can download and work with? Its what I use for my Home Energy […]